Friday, June 6, 2008

Ron Paul Visits Rochester: Chalk One Up on the Famous People List

WE MET RON PAUL!!!


Despite earning fifteen percent of the popular vote in the Minnesota Republican primary earlier this year, Ron Paul was not allowed to speak at the state Republican convention last week in Rochester. However, we were excited beyond words to actually meet him after hearing his message in Mayo Memorial Park two Fridays ago. I felt starstruck, and I wasn't standing next to a rockstar or my favorite actor; I was posing for a picture next to a presidential hopeful, one of the most brilliant visionaries of our time.


Earlier that morning, outside the civic center, about five hundred supporters listened to Ron Paul speak about liberty. Max, Mitchell, and I arrived a couple of minutes before the 7:30 a.m. start time. Before he took the stage, we were privileged to hear thoughts from Barb Davis White, a candidate for United States Congress. If I lived in Minnesota's Fifth District, part of the Twin Cities, I would vote for her with confidence. Her words were heartfelt; her voice shoke with emotion as she expressed her disappointment in her fellow Republicans who would not allow Ron Paul to speak inside the convention. She made a bold statement that today's children are like "slaves" to the taxes and challenges they will face as they grow up. As an African-American who shares the heritage and pain of generations of former slaves, I knew she could not make such a claim lightly. Her ability to relate to diverse individuals was easily evident in her words, likely due to her valuable life experiences as a mother, widow, and pastor. She said the highest compliment a constituent had paid her was the comment, "I might vote for you." She was touched by those words because a voter was interested in the issues facing our state and society.


During his appearance, supporters cheered collectively as Dr. Paul discussed his thoughts on sound monetary policy (Did you know the Federal Reserve, which controls our nation's money supply, is actually a private company, not a government entity?), American intervention policy in other countries (Did you know we have troops in over 130 countries around the world?), and his voting record in the United States Congress (Did you know Ron Paul was the only presidential candidate to vote against the Iraq War Resoloution?). Click here to watch a four-minute clip of Ron Paul's speech.


If I had heard his speech eight months ago ...


before I really learned about the controversies in Iraq,



before I really learned about the benefits for many people of Health Savings Account options, tax credits for healthcare expenses, and other healthcare alternatives,


before I really learned what our family, as individuals and business owners, pay in taxes and health care costs in one year (sorry, no clickable link to our 2007 tax forms),


... I might have dismissed his views as "out there," like others before me and the mainstream media have done. But I have learned about our country and our global society, through conversations, books, and websites during the past year, and I support Ron Paul more than any other leader.


We followed him into the convention center after his speech ended, hoping for a glimpse of him on the way to our cars. We couldn't stay longer for the convention, and I didn't expect that our presence would make a difference in the Republican determination that would prevent Ron Paul from receiving any delegates that day. Troy had to get back to work and a day full of appointments, and the boys and I were on our way to our end-of-the-school-year Peace Kids carnival and picnic. I was disappointed that I had forgotten to bring my copy of Ron Paul's bestseller, Revolution: A Manifesto in case I could have had it signed by the author.


We were almost close enough to touch Ron Paul when Troy asked his Minnesota campaign manager, Marianne Sebbins, "Could you please take our photograph with Ron Paul?" as he handed her the camera. I'm sure she took one look at us, noting Troy's suit and tie, Max's and Mitchell's homeschool shirts, and my proud-mother-duck smile, and sized us up as a perfect photo opportunity. Plus, anyone can tell, our boys are darn cute!


We waited patiently for our turn as Dr. Paul signed copy after copy of his book. Finally, it was our turn! Ron Paul motioned for us to come closer, and he asked the boys, "Where did you get that great hair?" Then he looked at me (and maybe also looked at Troy's shaven head) and said, "Your mom?" and for once I was one hundred percent happy with my natural curlier-every-year hair. After our picture, Dr. Paul held up both of his hands in the direction of Max and Mitch and smiled at them, then everyone else, announcing, "These children are the future of America!"


Could there be a prouder moment for a parent? Dr. Paul reached out his hand to Max, and after a moment's hesitation, Max shook his hand, in complete awe. I, too, was in awe as I offered sincerely, "God bless." Whether or not you agree with all of Dr. Paul's views, having him introduce your children to a crowd of politically-minded people as "the future" is an honor.




2 comments:

rryvers said...

Great blog

We watch with great hope that America might hear the wisdom that the founding fathers handed down for future generations. The good Doctor is right, our children need to understand their history and bring back the truth that made a country great. As a Canadian in Canada who cannot participate in this process we chear you on. Ignore the MSM and fight for your country! It is yours to take, lies only hold up when the truth is absent!
God Bless
Ron

Parke said...

Its funny.. Ive met movie stars and rock stars. Nobody has inspired me to drive 7 hours each way for the chance to see them. I got a photo with the doc too and its one of my proudest moments.

'There is something going on and its big, its really big' R. Paul

Doesnt it make you feel proud to be an American? The revolution is coming whether the elite and party bosses want it to happen or not.