Friday, March 21, 2008

On My Bookshelf: Jon Hassler

I have always loved reading, and one of my favorite authors since late elementary school was Minnesota-born Jon Hassler. I read Four Miles to Pinecone from start to finish, in one sitting, when I was ten or twelve years old, and then again in a popular literature class in high school. I enjoyed his books, but what I found most inspiring was his story. He grew up in small-town Minnesota, was a teacher and a father, and didn't begin his writing career until he was 37 years old. Despite the complications of a neurological disease, he continued working on his most recent book until he died yesterday at the age of 74. According to Wikipedia, he finished this novel just days before his death, although I have been unable to confirm this information.
Here is more of Jon Hassler's story:

No comments: