Monday, March 17, 2008

Top O' the Afternoon To Ya

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
I won't be having any green beer or Guinness today -- I tried some golden Chardonnay this past weekend and it didn't go well -- because I'm giving my body a little more time to recover from the flu. I won't be in Chicago this year watching the river turn greener than normal. I won't be wearing my green beads and sparkly tiara at Whistle Binkies listening to the talented Ben Olsen, either. But I am cooking corned beef brisket to enjoy at home in my cute green sweater. And I will listen to Flogging Molly after the boys are in bed. Remember, Everyone's Irish on St. Patrick's Day, even those of us who are almost fully German and a little Wendish.
For all of you trivia buffs, St. Patrick's Day will not fall during Holy Week again until the year 2160.

Do you know the story of St. Patrick? St. Patrick used the three leafs of the shamrock to explain the Holy Trinity to Irish people. Click on this link to learn more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Patrick's_Day


Enjoy two of my favorite Irish Blessings:

An Old Irish Blessing

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Irish Marriage Blessing

May God be with you and bless you.
May you see your children's children.
May you be poor in misfortunesand rich in blessings.
May you know nothing but happiness from this day forward.

No comments: